1. Download tesseract library for android https://github.com/rmtheis/tess-two/downloads. Download as .zip for
windows, as .tar.gz for linux user.
2. Software requirement
- Java JDK
- Android SDK
- Android NDK
- Cygwin ( for windows users)
3. For windows user, make sure you already installed cygwin ( you can download it and install it from http://www.cygwin.com/ make sure during the cygwin installation, install also these source and library gcc-core, gcc-g++, make, swig)
4. Download apache-ant from http://ant.apache.org/bindownload.cgi choose .zip for windows, .tar.bz for linux user.
5. Unzip the apache and set the environment variable (mine is C:\apache-ant-1.8.3\bin)
6. Run cygwin (for windows user only,for linux user,run terminal)
e.ndk-build(for windows user, /cygdrive/<ndk-directory>/ndk-build)
f. android update project --path . (for windows user, sometime cygwin cannot execute this command, so
use command prompt to execute this command).
Note: The “.” after --path must be included in the command.
g. ant release ( sometimes you will get error like java tools.jar not found, set environment variable
JAVA_HOME to the jdk folder, mine is C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0)
7. Run Eclipse. Right click on package explorer, import>> General >> Existing Project into Workspace >>
Next >> Select Root Directory >> Browse the tess-two folder location >> Finish.
You will see tess-two folder in your package explorer.
8. Right click on the project >> Android Tools >> Fix Project Properties. Right click >> Properties >>
Android >> Check Is Library.
Download the simple OCR android app from https://github.com/GautamGupta/Simple-Android-OCR.
Right click on package explorer, import the simple OCR android app folder.
9. Right click on the project >> Android >> Add >> click tess-two >> OK
10. Run the app. Good luck